Sunday, April 7, 2013

INTUITION by Amy A. Bartol


INTUITION by Amy A. Bartol
Book #2 of the Premonition Series


"I don’t open my eyes so I can’t see him, but I can smell him. He thickens the air I breathe, choking me with his scent…his aroma. I shiver. I have to resist. If I’m not strong, then I will be relegated to the same fate as this predator whose sickness infects me even now. But now, I crave him and he knows that; he has been counting on my need to end the gnawing pain. How he would savor my surrender. I’m alive, but how much longer will it take until I beg him not to be?"


Hello again! Mel here to share my thoughts on Intuition, book #2 of the Premonition Series by Amy A. Bartol. Now having fallen in love with the Evie's story I am happy to say that this second installment picked up where Inescapable left off. Evie is living with the beautifully alluring Reed, her Soul-mate Russell, and the Oh So Stern-facey Zephyr. Learning at the end of the previous book 
(which hopefully you've read as there may be a bit of spoilers in this review, if not STOP and go read it NOW!!!) 
that Evie and Russell are angel half-breeds, they are now taking their situation very seriously and training to be able to protect themselves in the case of Team McDreamy (Reed and Zephyr) and Team McZaney (Buns and Brownie) not being around if danger were to strike. At this point in reading I am having a blast....and then Evie does something that drives me insane, she grabs Russell and high tails it out of her new home under the assumption that she will be keeping the Angels safe.

(GAH!!!)

It's not long after this that our dear Evie gets a visit from some of my favorite villains...the Fellas. Now I'm going to geek out and profess that never in my life have I come upon bad guys that I wanted to love more than these boys. Amy really blurred my views on Good vs. Evil. Who knew that some literate hotness and accents could have a girl throwing on her 'black hat' and rooting for the baddies? Well there's definitely more to it than that. Surely. Ok, so I'm not alone? Good. Back to it then!

The Fellas take Evie to Brennus, their King,
 (Enter top baddie that has me dancing around in my black hat like a crazy person).
Having seen her portrait and deciding that she will belong to him he does what he can to get her to succumb to his demands. Here Evie has a serious wake up call:

"Trembling overcomes me when the knowledge that Keegan isn’t playing games begins to take root in my mind…he isn’t trying to train me. He doesn’t care that I feel weak, terrified, and broken inside. He doesn’t mind that my decision to be brave is deserting me as the state of hypervigilance that I have been in is now breaking me down...he will kill me if Brennus allows him to, but if he doesn’t, Keegan will settle for just hurting me really, really bad."

Royal Oh Sh!+ moment right?! Well it gets better...

"I don’t open my eyes so I can’t see him, but I can smell him. He thickens the air I breathe, choking me with his scent…his aroma. I shiver. I have to resist. If I’m not strong, then I will be relegated to the same fate as this predator whose sickness infects me even now. But now, I crave him and he knows that; he has been counting on my need to end the gnawing pain. How he would savor my surrender. I’m alive, but how much longer will it take until I beg him not to be?"

So there's a taste of what Brennus is putting our leading lady through...and if you are asking how I can still have a soft spot for him and the Fellas you'll have to read for yourself (wink). 

Now I don't want to spoil anymore so we'll move on to my thoughts in general about this story....

EPIC! 

Amy once again managed to spin a tale that had me rushing to the next page until the end. I was able to watch Evie grow in strength and character. Protect those she loves, and hold her own in some extremely scary situations. She held true to herself as her world was turned upside down and she was left in utter darkness. And she emerged stronger, more vicious, and determined to fight for her family and the life she wants.

On another note, it was a great treat to get to view Amy's world through the eyes of our adorable and charming Russell. His feelings for Evie are humbling and his determination to keep her safe, heroic. 

"Evie looks to me like someone should be holdin' her hand when she crosses the street. She seems so delicate, even though I've seen how lethal she is."

Also, his interactions with the Angels had me cracking up. It was nice to see how another character in this world viewed it, and it's inhabitants. And Russell is still the 'white hat wearing' good ol' boy we fell for in the previous book.

Though the Angels don't have much game time in the first part of this book, they make a dramatic comeback in the last half. Reed is still my main man...er...for Evie that is. His love for her is truly palpable. Bringing tears to the eye and a few twists of a wrench into your heart in this one. Amy has a great knack for getting you to feel what her characters are going through. Be it anguish, joy, fear, love, etc. As domineering as he can be he's yet to reach 'cave-man status' that tends to show up in a lot of similar roles in this genre.

Brownie and Buns were hilarious, and even Zephyr was able to get a few zingers in there.

I love this story and these characters. There was not one moment where I felt the story was dragging. I read it in one sitting and even a couple hours after I was giggling at a remembered one-liner from the Fellas, or smiling like a googly-eyed idiot thinking about how special Reed and Evie's feelings for each other are. 

Wow, time for me to stop babbling so that you can go get this book and enjoy it as much as I did! So....hop to it my friends!!!

  










Be sure to head on over to Amy's Website to check out her other books...
Here is a list of the Premonition Series:
Book 1: Inescapable
Book 2: Intuition
Book 3: Indebted
Book 4: Incendiary

No comments:

Post a Comment