Sunday, April 7, 2013

INDEBTED by Amy A. Bartol


INDEBTED by Amy A. Bartol
Book #3 of the Premonition Series


"I hang my head in sorrow for just a moment when I know I am truly alone. I feel like I’m going to my execution, just as he had said. Then I move forward again. I hop a fence of fieldstone and cross a field dotted with Queen Anne’s lace. Goose bumps rise on my arms as I pass the cluster of windmills that I have seen in a dream. The scent is sweet in the field though, not the scent of heat, like it had been when it was forced upon me in visions. I gaze down the hill, beyond the small, whitewashed house that I knew would be there. The church looms dark and grim with its rough-hewn, timber façade, capped by tall, oblong spires reaching to the sky. Black, ominous clouds have collected above the roofline, as if Heaven is showing me the way."


So let me begin with a question...

Did you read my (Mel here *waves*) review of Intuition? Remember how I was talking about dancing around in my 'black hat' like a crazy person? While reading this book I was decked out in a black hat, black gloves, black shoes and socks, black jeans, well you get the point. Not saying I'm rooting for Brennus and Evie to have a creepy ever after...but this girl can't get enough of the King and his Fellas. Another Thank You! to Amy for blurring my literary views of Good and Evil. Now please don't take this as a "Mel's a shallow dolt, she'll side with anyone who's eye candy and speaks with sweet, sexy accents" because I SWEAR it's not true! I can truly root for a villain's ugly, painful demise with the best of 'em...but Amy's writing lulled me into a false sense of calm during which the Fellas were able to sneak up and carve a little (like super tiny, ok?) place in my heart. 

In circumstances you'll have to read to catch up on, Evie finds herself living with Brennus and the Fellas at his estate in Ireland.  Though she's missing Reed and the rest of her friends/family she decides to play along to stay alive, meaning not dead...and not undead. Be it for a certain event in the previous book or from living with her enemies...she quickly finds that as much love as she has for Reed, for Russell, and the rest...Brennus and the Fellas (well a select few anyway) have wormed their way into her heart too. 

"How can I possibly describe what I feel for you, Brennus?” I ask, shaking my head and feeling the painful ache inside of me. “This isn’t like the love I have felt before. Whatever it is, it’s painful. If this is love, then I love you the way creatures like us ought to be loved – secretly and unwillingly, within the dark shadow between my heart and soul." 


Though she still fights for the life and the love she truly wants and needs.

"If I had but one wish, it would have been to find someone like you.”

“And if you were a coin, I’d throw you down a well without making a wish."

*Nods head in understanding* I totally feel ya sister!

Ahem...moving on...

And while she battles, loves, orders about, fights to protect Brennus and the Fellas, fights against Brennus and the Fellas (busy girl right?) in the background Reed, Russell and the rest of their beautifully crazy family fight to get her back. I was overwhelmed with happy tears as Reed snuck into Evie's room to hold her, then said...

"I miss the outline of your body pressed to mine and the feel of your breath on my neck when you sleep. I miss the sound of your voice. I need you. I have to go soon, but I will be back for you. I promise you. Then, I will show you that there is still beauty in the world -- not a future full of despair. I promise you, I will."

He not once stopped looking for her, and a way to reach her. His love. His Aspire.

"Hold onto the string, love, until the current shifts and we can be together again." 

So if you haven't fallen in love with Reed yet...get ready to do so. And if you're already a Reed Fanatic...get ready to fall in love again!

Zephyr and Buns, Brownie, and our good ol' boy Russell didn't sit out on this rescue either. All wanting their friend, or soul-mate in Russ's case, home with them where she belongs. Again I'm not wanting to spoil too much for you so I will leave off with specifics at this point.

All in all Indebted was one Hell of a book! I have never had my emotions so twisted as I did in this one. These characters have been written so clearly in their personalities that I have no problem watching them in my mind move about in this crazy world they call home. They laugh...I cackle. They cry...I'm a sobbing mess. They go to battle...I'm shouting my war-cry and attacking the enemy with a verbal assault that would make any sailor proud (unless in the case of Brennus where as my verbal assault tends to lean more towards the line of verbal taunt...with a flirtatious grin...and a force field to keep me from touching...er...him from touching me *cough*). Again I digress, but seriously! You must check this book out for yourself.

And as a final snippet to show Russ some well deserved attention I'll leave you with this quote between him and Evie at the end of the book...


"Well, that feels a little bit like stealin’ yer parent’s car keys for a joy ride and ending up crashin’ it, huh?”
“We kind of hijacked the sun, Russell." 


Now go my friends! Enjoy this adventure as much as I did ;)


                    










Be sure to head on over to Amy's Website to check out her other books...
Here is a list of the Premonition Series:
Book 1: Inescapable
Book 2: Intuition
Book 3: Indebted
Book 4: Incendiary

No comments:

Post a Comment